With children falling on the floor and dropping toys, it is important to choose a durable flooring that can withstand the abuse and high traffic while offering a safe surface to cushion a fall. Here at Pittsburgh Flooring we have put together five different ideas for flooring to give you a starting point in your research and design.
1. Carpeting– Although children can be messy, causing spills and stains on carpeting, this is a safe and versatile option. Carpeting comes in a wide range of colors and patterns that can add vibrant hues and whimsical patterns, like stars, to the room in order to suit your design scheme and is also available with stain-resisting properties.
Carpeting offers cushioning for falls while adding warmth and sound absorption. Carpet tiles are also available and can be arranged in a pattern of your choice. They are a great alternative to traditional carpeting because if a section is damaged it can be easily replaced.
2. Interlocking Foam Tiles– If you can’t commit to new carpeting or you are looking for a way to make your existing flooring safer, while adding a pop of color, you can use foam tiles that easily interlock together. These tiles are made of an easy to clean, soft foam that offers a cushion to any area of the room, while adding a vibrant pop of color or a unique pattern.
3. Hardwood Flooring– This type of flooring comes in a variety of choices, like bamboo, and is one of the most durable options. Hardwood flooring can easily withstand high traffic areas but may require an occasional buffing or refinishing to restore its luster. To add warmth and cushion to the room, you can use an area rug in a bright color or pattern to add safety for falls as well as a pop of color.
4. Vinyl Flooring– This is a resilient option that is low maintenance and affordable. Vinyl is also very difficult to rip, tear, or shred, making it perfect to stand up against high traffic and abuse that a child can inflict on it. Vinyl patterns can mimic stone, wood, and tiles and comes in a variety of textures the children can interact with.
5. Laminate Flooring– Laminate is another durable option as well as one of the most affordable. This option comes in a wide range of stains and shades and can mimic patterns like tile, marble, and hardwood to suit any design or color scheme.
Call us at (412) 347-4343 to learn more about how we can meet your flooring needs for kids’ rooms or for any room in your home.